Somebody wrote:

"*i think the improved mileage is due to improved engine efficiency,
similar
to turbo-charging. with water's latent heat allowing a larger charge
into
the combustion chamber, and steam also contributing, the net result is a
greater mean effective pressure. ergo, less fuel for the same power
out."

Higher charge density alone won't improve efficiency, though it will
boost power.

Most of the favorable effect of moisture in the intake has to do with
"wet compression," in which the moisture absorbs some of the heat of
adiabatic compression, thus reducing temperature rise and reducing the
work expended in compression, which translates into a net horsepower
gain. The effect is stronger if a phase change - vaporization - takes
place, so I would expect a fogger (which puts fine liquid droplets into
the air to be vaporized) to be VERY effective in a dry climate due to
precooling before compression, remaining effective to some degree in
wetter climates like the Philippines, where I live.

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Lanao del Norte