--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<snip>
> Now maybe there is still a market for biodiesel from waste vedgie
oil
> which cant be used in your car. But that must now be strictly it.
Its
> a lot cheaper to buy this kit then to go to all the trouble to
> produce your own biodiesel.
<snip again>

I chose to run biodiesel after reading all I could about the problems
of running either biodiesel or straight vegetable oil.

There are several studies available that include engine tear-downs
after many miles using biodiesel.  Wear and deposit findings are
pretty much in line with what one would expect from petrodiesel use.

There also is at least one study, more of a laboratory test than real-
world, that includes a tear-down after running straight vegetable
oil.  Deposits included polymers formed from unburned components of
the fuel, especially in ring grooves and valve stems.  Deposits in
the ring grooves lead to stuck or broken rings. Deposits on valve
stems lead to stuck valves and accelerated guide and stem wear.
Raising the temperature 190 degrees F or so before it reaches the
fuel pump may allow the engine to run on SVO, but will not change the
combustion characteristics of the fuel substantially.  There is
simply too much stuff in vegetable oil that does not burn cleanly in
today's diesel engines.

Diesel-formulated lubricating oils are formulated to keep carbon in
suspension.  They do not affect these polymers.

We're all pretty new at this.  I can report about 50,000 miles on an
Isuzu engine and about 15,000 miles on a VW Rabbit engine using a
high percentage of biodiesel.  If I have fuel-related problems from
either in less that 200,000 miles, I will be disappointed.  That will
take a few more years, of course.

If you can point to a good study showing that a current-production
diesel engine will run 200,000 miles on SVO with no deposit problems,
I'll throw away my processor and add a couple of fuel tanks and heat
exchangers.  Or if any one on this list has run SVO for 100,000 miles
with no deposit problems, I'll do the same thing.  Until then, I'll
stick with biodiesel, made as pure and clean as I can make it.

Dale Scroggins