Keith,

Not to belittle your concern about water, its importance, and the likelihood
of wars being fought over it, but I still tend to feel that energy in one
form or another is of utmost importance. I currently live in an environment
where life is highly dependent upon technology and energy. This has led me
to appreciate that man can probably live just about anywhere as long as he
has the energy to bring his life support along and to keep it running. He
can practically make water as long as he has the energy to do it.

My case in point. I currently live in Saudi Arabia. Life in the past was
mostly nocturnal and by a few camel herders. Now, thanks to technology and
relatively cheap energy, life is fairly normal here. Of course, it has its
price. My house has two humongous air-con units that run constantly in the
summer when the temperature outside is at 130 F and more. For water, the
compound has a deep well that brings up this stuff that only someone with a
good imagination might call water. However, after running it through a
reverse osmosis plant it rivals most of the stuff one might get out of the
faucet in the States or Europe. Saudi Arabia is the world's largest producer
of desalinated water. Basically, the main product of the petroleum fields is
petroleum for export. They have this byproduct called natural gas that used
to be just burned off (!). Now they are using it to run their electrical
generator plants, to their way of thinking, getting something for nothing.
The electrical plants have been designed as co-gen plants, and as I
understand the process, the waste heat from the electrical generation is
used in a process of evaporative desalination. So, they get gobs of water
from the sea as a byproduct of electrical generation. Consequently, in one
of the driest of spots on the globe, there is plenty of water.

And guys, please don't flame me on the waste of energy, etc. I'm not saying
that I think this is a great idea and the way it should be. I'm basically
stating what I have observed. But still, the water goes around and around
and is recycled in nature. The supply of water mostly becomes a problem by
being impure or not being in the right place at the right time. Energy use
can change that. Therefore, I tend to think that of the two the most
fundamentally important is plentiful energy.

Derek W. Hargis