This is off-topic so I'll apologize in advance and take all further
discussion off-list, but water filtration is not strictly a mechanical
process. Plants are very good at filtering for toxins and could be your post
solar still filter. Ionizing the water pre-still or uv filtration could help
cut scaling and bacteria buildup. If your using tap water your
de-chlorination will probably happen in the still. I would probably inject a
little chlorine bleach into the system occasionally to flush it and kill
excessive bacteria buildup or a flexible wire w/a stiff nylon brush like
used from cleaning gun barrels could be snaked through the solar still to
aid in removing excessive bacteria. Although you could probably find
organisms that live off that bacteria and/or provide food for the flora
downstream.

I'm not a plant expert but I have seen some nice hydroponic setups that
cleaned water to beyond any levels I've seen on a strictly mechanical
system. [Completly off-grid.] From there depending on how stringent your
standards are you can run it through a <insert micron level> gravity fed
charcoal filter and voila potable water. This is not new technology as it
was part of the biodome project. I have also seen a grey water (shower and
sink water) recycling plant in Mexico. Comlpletly gravity fed complete
w/solar still and used to irrigate lawns. The flora is one of the final
stage of the filtering process before the water hits the aquifer. At which
point it contains less toxins than the rain that falls in Mexico.

I have pictures and probably the hard facts in my files somewhere. The
problem is they are in Spanish and "Yo no habla espanol". Alta-vista doesnt
do scientific terms.

So now for the big tie-in. I know this isnt exactly bio-fuel for the car.
But it is biolfuel for nature from waste. Reclaiming grey water is a great
start for irrigating flora and ultimatly replenishing the aquifers. Its like
liquid compost. Why waste tap water on a lawn when we have plenty of grey
waste water?

On another note I find that less industrialized countries are more open to
alternative energies then are more industrialized ones. Industry with the
support of the government is shifting the balance of nature. Mr Bush what
good is technological advancement if we kill ourselves off w/the
by-products? I dont want missle defense I want ozone defense.

*end of sermon*
cheers,
cordain