Grendel wrote:

> >The greater fuel flow requirements of alcohol are because of its much lower
> >Stoichimetric ratios.  Pump gas is around 14.1:1 and alcohol is as low as
> >8.2:1.  Again, I do not have my reference material here so the figures may
> >be slightly off.   This very low sotic ratio is one of the reasons alcohol
> >is used in racing applications.  The large flow of fuel helps cool things.
> >Alcohol also expands quickly which in turn slightly cools the incoming FA
> >mixture allowing a slightly heavier charge.
>
> >The low stoic is the reason of the greater fuel consumption of alcohol over
> >pump gas.  The amount of energy power charge is the same but it takes
> >significantly more volume of alcohol than gasoline.  Some of that may be
> >gained back by increased compression ratios.
>

>Ah! OK. I won'
>t say "that makes sense" because that would make you assume that I followed
>all you were saying. :) But thanks!

Re fuel consumption, you can use as low as 160-proof, 180-proof is
said to be a better fuel anyway, and if you use an injection system
it can burn up to 50% water, with other benefits too - for instance,
that engines with an injection system still retain complete dual fuel
capability, and alcohol injection can be used with fuel-injected,
turbocharged, and even diesel engines. See "Alcohol Fuel Manual",
Chapter 2, Basic Fuel Theory - Water injerction, and Chapter 3,
Utilization of Alcohol Fuels - Alcohol injection
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual_ToC.html

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects