Keith Addison asks:

>A biodiesel question. If you boil off and distill the excess methanol
>from the glycerine for re-use, is it in fact suitable for re-use?
>Won't it be too wet? I don't even know if water dissolves in
>methanol. If so, does methanol have the same or similar upper-limit
>azeotropic restriction for distillation as ethanol does? Sure, you
>get rid of the water in the oil first, but some water is released
>during the transesterification, and it'll be in the glycerine along
>with excess meths.

Methanol and water do not form an azeotrope, and therefore are
completely separable, at least theoretically, by fractional distillation
alone. I don't think you're right about water being produced in the
transesterification reaction (it IS produced by the saponification
of free fatty acid, but that is supposed to be minimal). Even if
there is some water there, fractional or a few simple distillations
will clean it all out.    -K