PROOF THAT MIL-MAC FUEL FILTERS WORK
Further to my earlier e-mail below following are the results of  fuel filter
tests conducted on diesel fuel untreated (direct from pump at the local
service station)  and the same fuel after being run through a MIL-MAC fuel
filter. The tests were conducted by IPL (the laboratory attached to the New
Zealand Refinery Co refinery at Marsden Point the sole refinery in New
Zealand and the provider to all the 5 major oil companies and over 95% of NZ
fuel and oil requirements) an independent laboratory which does all the
analytical work for the refinery. The tests were paid for by BP who were
also interested in the results and there is no way the results can be
misrepresented or misconstrued.
As people may be aware we have a major fuel problem in NZ at present with
about 350,000,000 litres of diesel, which has been prepared for the winter
season with the addition of a polymer additive, which is now distributed
throughout the country, and which is now causing rough running, some engine
stoppages, some injector pump fouling, and heavy fuel filter fouling. The
oil companies have all said they will pay for filter relacements. The
problem is a lot of filters are fouling quite rapidly. The problem is caused
by the additive which is not dissolving into the fuel properly and remaining
in suspension but separating out and clumping together blocking up filters
etc. As a result the fishing industry has been unoperational for a week now,
it being considered too unsafe to let fishing boats put to sea. Also a
number of freight operators have pulled vehicles off the road and quite a
lot of private motorists have been affected at the same time.
The tests conducted were a rather simple one which appears to be a fairly
universal one, filtering 500 ml through a certain screen size in 3 minutes
or less. If the filter passes the 500ml in under 3 minutes then it is an
automatic pass, and if the amount is under 500ml then it is an automatic
fail. In this case the size of the additive particles can be up to 8 micron
in size going down to virtually zero or dissolvement.
Test 1: Untreated diesel direct from pump.
            Time:     180 seconds (3 minutes)
            Passed:  355 ml
            Result:  Failed.
Test 2: Diesel filtered through MIL-MAC Fuel filter.
           Time:      47 seconds
           Passed:  500 ml
           Result:   Passed
As can be seen from the above results all filtered diesel passed in under
one minute at the average rate of over 10 ml per second. whereas with the
untreated  diesel only 71% passed in the full test period. In this case the
filtered diesel passed at over 5 times the speed of the unfiltered diesel.
I believe these filters have direct application to the Biofuel industry and
would advise all end users to fit one or an identical  similar type filter
that will filter to the same degree to all vehicles using biodiesel or
standard filtered vegetable oil.
B.r.,  David