Hanns,

The amount of liquid in the coconut deminishes as time goes by.  Some of it
becomes part of the "meat" which will be the copra.  But there is still
some liquid in a mature coconut.  Processes oil by hand yields a very small
amount of oil, around 20 to 25 % if you are lucky(tried this in laboratory
class in college).  The method used in industry is solvent
extraction(cyclohexanone), here you can get an economical yield.

The problem here in the Philippines is not a question of natural resources
but more of politics.  People want power so they can control somebody else
so they can stay in power.  Vicious cycle.  My prayers to the hostages and
their families.

As to changing to a carbohydrate economy.  Hopefully we can make a small
difference in a years time.

Making ethanol et al from veggie oils... hmmm now thats interesting.  If
they can extract diesel from the "ends"(usually tar and asphalt) using
vaccum distillation, cracking and reforming of crude why not make it from
veggie oils.  Anyone want to collaborate on this?

Best Regards to all

Ken