> >Ken! Whether you dig it,grow it or catch it as sunlight.  If there is an
> >exponential increase in the rate of use of energy it would need to come
from
> >an infinite source at a potentially infinite rate, to be sustainable.
> >There is an absolute limit to Cultivatable land, one we reached at least
30
> >years ago.
>
> Not true, and not an issue - food production and biofuels production
> are compatible, not competitors. See previous posts.

Think this one out. One 60# bushel of soy yields ~1+ gallons of cold pressed
oil (11#s when solvent extracted). It also yields ~45#s of 48% high protein
feed meal.

Place the one gallon of biodiesel in the tank of a high fuel economy diesel
passenger car. Place the 45#s of meal in the passenger's seat. Assume that
your only food source for one day is the feed meal. Start the car and
proceed down the road. See which runs out first.

Had the trip been 500 miles, the fuel economy of the car been 50 mpg, you
would have been the impetus for amassing 450#s of food, yet only consuming
perhaps 1.

Herein lies the biggest concern relative to biodiesel - a feed meal glut -
thereby bringing offerings for oil bearing commodities down. The farming
community needs to bring every oil bearing seed possible into play to
regulate the feed meal production or else more farmers will succcumb to
bankruptcy when the backlash of a glut hits.

Sorry, but it's a reality. Perhaps now some will see why high oil / low meal
yielding crops like hemp must be brought into the market - to reduce feed
meal supply relative to oil production.

It's not a "hippie vs conservative" thing.

It's a survival thing.

Todd Swearingen
Appal Energy