----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I was asked today why there was a ban on feeding cotton meal and oil
> to stock (the Japanese found residual pesticide in Australian beef)
> but the oil was recommended for human cooking. > Does anyone know how or
if the contaminants can be removed?

Harry the cottenseed oil that I process comes from 2 sources.
ETA Food Services Cottenseed Oil, Ingredients, Cottenseed Oil, Antioxidant
(319) 0.01%, Antifoam (900)
and "Formula 40" from Peerless Holdings.
Depends upon which source local fish and chip shop buys from.
Was going to lubch on fish and chips tomorrow but now you have me worried
with that residue bit.
Might quiz the suppliers.

> I'm in the midst of my first cotton seed batch.
> Some one asked about using the centrifuge for testing purity. I do
> intend to test some product by adding more alcohol and lye to a
> sample and seperating the glycerol with the centrifuge but I'm
> waiting for some proper centifuge tubes.

Might be able to help you out there Harry. Seem to have a glut of glass
graduated centrifuge tubes, 15mml capacity. Contact me via my email address
and we will see if they will fit your centrifuge.

Ran a test using the centrifuge today with the aim of determining yield vs
mixing time.
1L beaker,500ml Cottenseed oil 55 deg C, 3g NaOH dissolved in 200ml
methanol, hotplate stirrer (temp maintained 55 deg C), 5cm spin bar, fastest
speed spin bar would take (dimple on oil surface but no vortex).
15ml sample extracted every 15min, centrifuged and ammount of glycerine
deposit read.
On addition of methanol extra stirring was given to ensure mixing.
Oil/methanol mix murky at first but after 10-15 min stirring cleared and
liquid had esterlike smell.
Results were inconclusive. 15ml gave 1.6ml deposit after 15min reaction.
This remained fairly constant up till the 1 hour mark where it climbed to
1.8ml. However it dropped back after that. The centrifuge tube was being
filled with a 10ml graduated pipette. First fill OK, sucked up dumped
straight in. Top up to 15 ml mark involved refilling pipette and draining
pipette slowly till 15ml mark was reached.  Noticed during the latter stages
of this test that the glycerine was actually settling out in the pipette as
it was slowly drained, thereby enriching the test sample.
Will make two batches, stir one for 15min only the other for two hours, let
them settle overnight and then test for completemess of reaction by adding
more methoxide,mix,cenrtifuge.
I was ammazed at how quickly the glycerine separates out. Just allowing it
to stand in the tube without centrifuging gave a deposit of 1.45ml (granted
not as pure) after 20 minutes.
Depending upon results will increase NaOH ammount, but suspect 6g/L is near
optimum for this oil as last time I tried increased ammounts  ended up with
whitish gel amongst the glycerine. Would prefer to er on low side than have
to deal with that stuff on a larger scale. I view of rapid settling of
glycerine am looking at drawing it off early in process, washing on
remaining glycerine(Idaho 20-20-20 technique) and heat drying.
If I can get the washing side worked out this cottenseed looks to be a good
feedstock for BD production.

Any suggestions anyone?

Regards   Paul.