Hi Mike

> I'm struggling with the washing of the biodiesel.  I get a low
return (50%)
> and a lot of creamy mayonnaise.
Do you get rid of the water before the reaction? Perhaps you use too
much lye. How much do you use?
Yield should be ~ 100% even by an inexperienced biofueler. I usually
get 105% after reaction and 103% after washing - I have a flat bottom
reactor, which doesn't quite help hold yield high.

> During the processing I get a good glycerin drop (15%) using
Foolproof on
> used veggie oil.  Everything looks good until the wash when I add
the
> vinegar and water to the biodiesel start the bubbling and watch the
mayo
> form.
Obviously there is too much lye in the biodiesel. The mayo is easily
mendable: keep adding strong (pickling) vinegar or a 10% citric acid
solution, until you see separation - while mixing slowly or bubbling
gently. This may kep yield low (95%), but it'll save most of your bio.

> There is very little water in the processing and my understanding
is that
> any excess methanol or lye will wash out.  Could the temperature of
my
> washing water or composition ( tap or faucet water from
municipality) be the
> cause?
Nuh. While the process is tricky, it's not that tricky!
Biodiesel is best washed with small water portions (25%) at lest
three times 10 hours, allowing settling times of 2 hrs before
draining. At least the first washing water should be acid (purchase a
set of pH paper to get an idea), settling after the final washing
stage should be 3 days minimum - up to 2 weeks. This eliminates the
hassle of reheating and saves a lot of energy. Petrodiesel fuel has
to settle for 3 weeks after it arives at a fuel depot, so waiting one
week is quite little when compared.

Cheers, Aleks

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!