Alok,

Standard catalysts are sodium hydroxide (lye, NaOH) and potassium hydroxide
(KOH), upwards of 92% purity preferred.

There are more environmental concerns with the NaOH than with the KOH.

Continual processing would require constant inputs, while product,
byproducts, catalyst and alcohol are constantly being extracted. The
greatest problem with such a system is the decreased level of conversion,
ere go higher percentages of unconverted tri-, di- and monoglycerides oil in
the finished ester.

While this level of conversion may fall within whatever established standard
is applicable, the batch method offers longer residence time for reaction
and settling. Looking at the cost of some of the newly unveiled continuous
process reactors that are becoming available, I personally would stay with
1,500 - 2,000 gallon a day batches.

The daily output, conversion ratios and quality appear as if they leave much
to be desired compared to what people believe they are capable of.

If the continual process included constant fractional distillation, perhaps
my assessment would be different. But this would require enormous heat
inputs, somewhat defeating one of the principle purposes of biodiesel
manufacture - wise use of energy.

Our present leanings are that biodiesel is one of those industries that is
best suited to low-tech manufacturing practices - especially if higher tech
has a tendency to compromise quality and consume excess capital.

Todd
Appal Energy