>"If the containment was adequate why did the judge in the 3 mile Island
>case
>order reinforcement of the containment structure? The basis for the
>extra
>expense, and construction delay, was 3 Mile Island constituted an above
>average risk due to flight path and the power plant location.
>The court had expert testimony and access to engineering plans. It seems
>they didn't share your belief."
>
>What phase of engineering was the judge qualified in? I'm afraid I don't
>have much respect for judicial interference in engineering matters.
>
>And my guess is that when the transcript is read, it will be found to
>require further STUDY and DOCUMENTATION of the containment structure's
>ability to withstand aircraft impact, not any actual change in the
>design.

Please substantiate that - I'm afraid you haven't established any
basis for respect for your "guesses" in such matters.

One case I can think of where judicial interference in engineering
matters might have been a very good idea is that of the nuclear power
plant at Daya Bay in South China, 50 miles from the centre of Hong
Kong and even closer to the megacity that the Pearl River Delta has
grown into. The engineers claimed it's not in an earthquake zone,
which it most certainly is, and then went and left out a large number
of the foundation bolts, by mistake, but went ahead anyway saying it
didn't matter.

Go on, say it: "Ah, but that wasn't a *Western* plant."

British consultants, French engineers, French design. No judicial oversight.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

>That was the case with Diablo Canyon's alleged vulnerability to
>earthquake. The antinuke crowd failed to stop construction permanently,
>but they did add to the cost of the project by generating delay and
>"study" to prove what should already be obvious.
>
>Marc de Piolenc

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!