From: "Aidan Wilkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Good/Inexpensive Diesel Engines?

> Hello,
>
>     I will try to answer your questions then let others agree or disagree.
>
>     I recently bought a diesel VW Jetta.  When I did so many people
pointed out what you are saying about the cost so lets compare.

> Diesel Rebuild and maintenance:
>
> Fuel pump- relatively expensive.
> Injectors- rebuild for fair money
>
> All other parts of the engine are the
> same as a gas but slightly more
> expensive.
>
> the plus side is that if you don't get 500,000 miles out of the diesel
before a rebuild you did something wrong with it. Better fuel mileage, plus
cheaper fuel than gas if you live in Canada.  These are relatively simple
engines that don't break down very often.

> Gas Engine Rebuild and Maintenance:
>
> Spark plugs
> Spark plug wires
> injectors
> Coils or electronic ignition
> Fuel pump
> Several pollution components
> Computer
>
> The above are components that I have replaced on my gas engine vehicles.
A gas will need to be rebuilt far before a diesel in most cases.  The gas is
not as efficient on fuel.  I guess what I am getting at is that a diesel may
be more money up front, but you will not put nearly as much money into it
for a given mileage.  Also diesels are not that hard to rebuild or work on
if you educate yourself and take your time.

> If anyone would like to disagree I look forward to hearing from you.
>

> >Hi all
>
> >So, with biodiesel being a much better fuel than gasoline etc., I'm
> >wanting to use it in more places.  However, I am finding that the price
of
> >diesel engines, and the price to repair/rebuild them is quite a bit more
> >than that of gasoline engines.  For example, living in North America,
> >a chev 350 can be rebuilt very inexpensively, and there's a plethora of
> >after market parts etc.  However, there doesn't seem to be any diesel
> >equivalents that I can find.
>
> >What I'd love to come across is an engine that's easy to work on,
> >inexpensive to buy, repair and rebuild, and is somewhere in the
> >neighbourhood of 80 to 200 hp.
>
> >Anyone have any ideas?
>
> >Thanks,
>
> >      Ian

> Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM