http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134345192_parkit23m.html
The Seattle Times: Local News:
                                Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 12:51 a.m. Pacific

Road less traveled pays off for some local car owners

By Janet I. Tu
Seattle Times staff reporter

In a city known for the number of cars crowding its streets and
freeways, the O'Donnells did something almost unthinkable.

They decided to give up a family car.

Nick O'Donnell and his wife, Sydney Cheek O'Donnell, agreed not to
use their second car for six weeks as part of a city of Seattle
program to reduce automobile use.

Now, the Capitol Hill couple are so pleased by the experiment they've
decided to sell their 1988 Plymouth Voyager.

"I learned we really did not need two cars," said Nick O'Donnell, an
actor who works for United Way of King County. His wife is a graduate
student at the University of Washington. "The fact that I was paying
attention to how I was getting around made it more fun."

The O'Donnells and 22 other couples took part in the second round of
Way to Go, a pilot program offering families financial incentives and
information to help them rethink the way they use their cars. Results
of the program were released at a news conference at City Hall
yesterday.

Way to Go participants got $25 a week for the first three weeks,
during which they still used their cars and kept a travel diary on
how they got around. Then, they gave up using their cars for six
weeks, for which they received $85 a week - the national average cost
of owning and operating a second car.

In the second round of the program, which took place May through
July, most families found they spent only $21 a week getting around
without their extra car, according to program manager Jemae Hoffman.

Participants, who kept diaries of what transportation they used,
walked, rode the bus, biked, carpooled, took taxis and tried FlexCar.
The 23 families made nearly 200 fewer car trips - about 1,250 miles
total - during the study.

At the program's end, six participants were thinking of selling their
extra car, two were trying to sell it, and two had already sold it.

One of the couples who sold was Richard Kielbowicz and Linda Lawson
of Hawthorne Hills, both UW employees, who sold their 1983 Toyota
Tercel. They figure they're saving an average of $48 a week by taking
the bus or walking.

"We had thought about (giving up the second car)," Kielbowicz said.
"But we just needed something to trigger it, to act."

The city is applying for a federal grant to do a third demonstration
round next year, which would include extending participation to 12
weeks, and creating "how to" packages for other cities that have
inquired about the program.

Not everyone involved, though, decided they could do without a car.

Vera Nevue, a single mother in West Seattle with a 12-year-old boy
and 8-year-old girl, got involved because she had been thinking about
not replacing her only car when it died.

But "I found it very hard," she admitted. The hardest parts, Nevue
found, were catching the bus in time to pick up her children from day
care, and shorter trips within a two- to three-mile radius of her
home.

The bus system, which gets her downtown to work fairly easily, isn't
as convenient for trips to the library or the beach, she said.

"I concluded I valued a car very much more than I thought I would,"
Nevue said. Still, "I concluded I didn't need a minivan. I really
just needed something to get the three of us a few miles."

When her 1992 Plymouth Voyager dies, she says, she will probably
replace it with a smaller, more fuel-efficient model.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM