Robert - I have a 1983 TDT wagon. I sold my 77 300D to my father. So with
these two in the family, and both running on SVO (and biodiesel for start up
and shutdown in my case), and blends of biodiesel/diesel, etc. I can tell
you the following:

Yes, avoid the ones after 1985. In fact, try to get an '83 or earlier, with
the cast iron head.

Turbos are nice for the extra power, but cost considerably more than the
240D or 300D, to buy and to repair.

The engines are very tough. The cars are nice to drive as you know. The
Bosch inline is considered to be the most tolerant of SVO, if you go that
way instead of biodiesel (not a bad thing to consider, if you are already
concerned about being a "biodiesel slave".)

You get used to the acceleration. The turbo is quite a lot quicker.

There should be four gears working on the four speed automatic. They tend to
shift into 4th early, you can lock this out by using the "s" position until
up to speed to get better acceleration without holding it all the way to the
floor. Also good for city driving to keep the revs up and minimize carbon
buildup (esp. if on SVO)

It is not unusual for the car to start out in 2nd gear and go 2-3-4, unless
you floor it, in which case it will drop into 1, start out in 1, give you
more acceleration across that intersection, and then go 2-3-4.

They will turn 3000 at highway speed (70 miles per hour). Higher reving than
you might expect - sort of halfway between a pickup  and a VW.

Biodiesel WILL cut the soot by around 50%. If the car is putting out much
soot, check the air cleaner, compression, and all else before buying. It
could be in need of an inexpensive air cleaner - or a megabuck rebuild.

If all is well maintained and compression good, there should not be a lot of
soot except maybe on a cold start - after that there should not be a lot -
if there is, beware.

Rough idle on older Mercedes 5 cyl. turbo is pretty common, and a fun hobby
to sort out. I am still getting mine set up for that one. Injectors checked,
compression very good, valves set...still a bit off...injection pump rack
bolt is next on the hit list.
----

Unless you really need a crew cab, I would advise against it. It is a
thirsty, unwieldy thing with way more power than you will need. (unless you
are planning to go into the house moving business). My business partner has
one, and a Jetta, and the truck sits at home a lot.

The Ford ranger Mazda engine will be very tough to get parts for. Not
recommended.

The Chevy's are hit and miss. Some are ok, some not. Same with all vehicles.
All diesels can be expensive to repair...or very trouble free. They tend to
run very well - or not at all.

Ed B.
www.biofuels.ca