The diesel-powered Volkswagen Lupo 3L TDi is one of the most
fuel-efficient cars in the world. It's called the "3L" because its
official fuel consumption is below three litres per 100 km -- 94.1
miles per gallon. In 2000 a Lupo 3L went on a globe-trot. It covered
20,699 miles at an average speed of 53.1 mph on daily journeys of
between 76 and 478 miles and used only 174.7 gallons of diesel -- an
average of 118 miles to the gallon. The best fuel consumption
recorded was 141.9 mpg, the worst 100.9 mpg. The Lupo 3L TDi is