From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 1:15 AM
Subject: [biofuel] Re: running a house from a generator

I was just thinking about the idea of converting excess energy to
heat.  Now if you eliminated your furnace and water heater, and ran a
water heater-like reservoir off the genset instead of a radiator,
then used that for a source of hot water, and maybe installed in-
floor radiant heat and just pumped the antifreeze from the engine
through there during the summer, you'd have enough "free" heat to
heat your house.  I wonder how using a small refrigerator unit would
work to cool this radiant floor heating system to make it into a
radiant floor cooling unit for summer.  (rambling thoughts I guess)

If you made your own fuel (let's say biodiesel) for cheap enough, you
could run a fairly decent genset 24/7.  If you were to assume that
the typical 60 amp home service (@220 v.) would be about 13 kw (of
course, that 13 Kw would be for peak usage, and if you cut it down to
say 8 kw, and figured out a way to not have the dryer, or the oven,
or some large appliance running at the same time, you could avoid
this.  Another way to do this could be to have 2 small 4-5 kw
generators, then you could run one generator 24 hrs a day and have a
switch on the other one to run at peak hours.  Another rambling of
thoughts... and probably not very cost effective.

JEFF

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> What I suggest about freezers is the good old way. My side is a
farm
> with quite a history behind. One detail is that the farm had an ice
> celler! During the winter a lot of ice was freezed and stored in a
> good isolated celler deep under the ground. During the summer small
> pieces of the ice was used to freeze the meat etc. They managed to
> keep the ice during the whole summer (our summer is hot ~30-35¡C)!
> Further we have a celler under the house which always have a
> temperature under 12¡C! If I locate a freezer in the celler and I
> make a big isolation around, freeze it with real ice I think it
> should do the trick...An other method is to run it from solar
energy.
> Only a small PV panel would need. When there's hot and the sun
shines
> then you need the most energy for freezing.
>
> I was dealing with the water storage as well. The potential energy
is
> a nasty thing! If you want to pump water, you have either pump it
> very high (hydroglobus) or you have to pump a lot! Imagine to have
> water tank with thousands of liter a couple of meter above the
ground!
> Hmmm....
>
> I was dealing with a lot ways and ideas but finally I got a hint
> from "primemover" about veg oil.
> My problem is always the storage of energy! I can genrate
everything,
> but how to store it?
> Now I think the question is other way round. I have enough fuel
that
> can be storaged good, so what I need is a flexible energy
> transfering. I mean from veg oil to electicity, heat, etc.
> The batteries against this idea. What you do is transfer the energy
> stored in the veg oil and store it again in the DC batteries. Then
> you transfer it again to AC when needed. Only because it is easier
> control an inverter!
> Instead of that I want to control the genset better.
>
> I was meantioning the energy balance before. Take a few word about
it.
> Suggest I want to run my vacum cleaner and toaster so I switch on
the
> genset. It producing around 4-5kW which is of course far too much
for
> the load. Meanwhile I charge the small battery banks that take a
> little load as well. The rest of generated electicity can be used
> e.g. freeze ice or heat water (or steam up) (also energy storage)
> It seems to be that the need of hot water is much more then the
> electricity that is generated parallel! So if you have surplus
> electicity just convert it to heat and then the balance is OK.
>

> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Anton Berteaux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > i saw a fridge and freezer in a jade mountain catatlog that was
> made for
> > sailboats that had a powerful cooler, and eutectic plates
> (essentially walls
> > witrh liquid that freezes and then takes heat away as it
unfreezes)
> that
> > will stay cold with an hour otr two of gen run time a day, but I
> still think
> > a super insulated frige running on solar with genny backup to
make
> more
> > electricity and supply heat in the winter when there is less sun
is
> the best
> > option .  have no numbers on this, so consider it heresay...
> > anton

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM