Hi Greg

I think you'll lose quite a lot of alcohol that way, if it works. I'd
be interested to hear of some results though. The usual way is with
quicklime, which does work, but you also lose some alcohol, and
quicklime is hard to get these days. Of course the ethanol doesn't
have to be anhydrous unless you're planning to mix it with gasoline
or use it to make biodiesel - otherwise 180-proof is a better fuel
than 200-proof. There's a lot more about this at Journey to Forever:

Anhydrous ethanol

To make ethyl esters the ethanol must be anhydrous, 99%+ pure -- with
less than 1% water content. See:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethyl_esters.html

The purest ethanol that can be produced by ordinary distillation is
only 95.6% pure, the rest being water, which interferes with the
transesterification reaction in making ethyl ester. More common for
home distillation is 170-190 proof -- 85-95% pure.

Members of the Biofuels mailing list have succeeded in making ethyl
ester using 85% ethanol they've distilled themselves, by removing the
excess water with quicklime (CaO). See The Manual for the Home and
Farm Production of Alcohol Fuel by S.W. Mathewson, Chapter 12 --
Drying the Alcohol, Drying with lime.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual12.html

An easier method is to use 3A zeolite molecular sieves. Biofuels
group member Ken Provost reports: "Zeolite (aka "molecular sieve")
works BEAUTIFULLY to suck the last bit of water out of distilled
ethanol. I got a sample of Type 3A Molecular Sieve from Adcoa in
Southern California:
http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/adcoa/molecula.htm

"I got a can of the 4-8 mesh -- little balls of rock about 1/8"
diameter. They absorb about 20% of their weight of water over the
course of a few hours. Take a liter of 95% ethanol, throw in 250g of
the stuff, swirl occasionally, filter out the next day through a
strainer, and presto! Anhydrous ethanol. Not expensive either --
US$2.05 a pound in 10 lb quantities, and reusable indefinitely. You
drive off the water under a broiler for an hour."

Cornmeal Adsorber for Dehydrating Ethanol Vapors -- by Michael R.
Ladisch et al., Laboratory of Renewable Resources Engineering, Purdue
University. About half the ethanol now produced in the US is dried
using corn grits. When the corn's drying capacity is worn out, it can
be fermented and distilled to make more ethanol. This 1981 paper is
the original work on the subject.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_grits.html

Separating Ethanol From Water -- by Renaldo V. Jenkins of Langley
Research Center, Hampton, Virginia, USA. More economical methods of
separating water from ethanol to produce anhydrous ethanol, using
sulphur or castor oil. Provided by F. Marc de Piolenc.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/eth_separate.html

Absolute Alcohol Using Glycerine -- Mariller-Granger Processes, from
E. Boullanger: Distillerie Agricole et Industrielle (Paris: Ballire,
1924). Mariller's absolute alcohol production process by dehydration
using glycerine, various systems examined and explained. Translation
from the French by F. Marc de Piolenc.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/Mariller.html

Best

Keith Addison