----- Original Message -----
From: "awaideau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Paul,
>    We are currently using the quantities suggested.  Despite weeks of
> settling and boiling, we get what appears to be large quantities of
> soap at room temp, althoug with a small amount of heating ( to about
> 40-50 degrees C ) this soap appears to melt.  Because of this I am
> not sure if it is soap or unprocessed fat.  There is almost no trace
> of glycerine in the bottom, and only about 5% of the total volume in
> liquid biodiesel on top.
> This morning I tried to 'wash' a sample and when water was added the
> mixture became thick and white, probably the soap.

Allen it sounds as though the reaction is incomplete. Animal fat can be
tricky. i suspect that it doesn't obey the titration rule.
Try retreating the batch with a 8gNaOH/50ml methanol  per litre brew of
methoxide, could take a while to dissolve the NaOH, may have to use more
methanol. If this works up the NaOH level in subsequent batches.
Used 16.7g of NaOH per litre to successfully process beef tallow. Figures
seem ridiculously high but processed well.

 Regards, Paul Gobert.

 www.ozimages.com.au/profile.asp/MemberID=517