I think yeast croak or really slow down at 14% or higher.(14%=28proof)

-----Original Message-----
From: motie_d [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 1:51 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Re: ethanol distillation

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> if you make your solar collector strong enought,you
> can use vacuum distillation at solar collector
> temperatures to distill ethanol.
>             regards,roger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

There have been several mentions of vacuum distilation on the list
recently. I'm still watching for some info on how to best accomplish
it. My interest is derived from a potential evolution toward a
modification of a continuous flow system instead of small batches.
 I would like to use a very rich mixture,(less water), and draw off
at least some of the Ethanol with vacuum, to keep the alcohol content
low enough to not kill the yeast, and without having to heat all the
extra water.
Can anyone tell me how much vacuum would be needed to remove at least
some of the Ethanol, and still keep the temp below 140F?
My thought is to pull a vacuum on the fermentation tank as it's
working. Can the yeast survive that amount of vacuum?
It takes much less heat input to distill out a 50% solution compared
to a 15%.
All thoughts are welcome.
Thanks,
Motie