--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Martin Klingensmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am exploring ethanol possibilities
> I have calculated that with a mash of 14% alcohol, I will need at
least 100
> gallons to distill out to ~15 gallons of 180 proof alcohol.
> Has anyone ever made a semi-automatic device for
fermenting/distilling?
> I am a typical mechanical-minded person, the least effort is the
best way
> right?

I agree that is the best way. I'm sort of half-heartedly exploring
that situation myself. (I don't have time or resources to pursue it
as a full-time effort)
I'm looking for a method of using vacuum on a fermentation tank to
remove some of the alcohol on a continuous basis. I found a pressure
cooker, boiled about an inch of water in it, letting it vent
(hopefully) most of the air, and hooked a hose to a container with
Ethanol in it. I had removed the pressure gauge from the cooker, and
installed a vacuum gauge from an AirConditioner recharging set. I was
hoping that as the steam cooled, it would provide vacuum enough to
pull at least some of the Ethanol vapors to another container inline.
It was a misuse of equipment and failed to work. The gasket in the
pressure cooker is made to hold pressure, NOT vacuum. I got 10 inches
of vacuum, and the seal sucked inside. Ethanol will not boil at 100F
with only 10 inches of vacuum. I want to keep the temp of the
fermenter low enough so the Yeast will survive and continue to
produce. Others have told me I need to keep the temp below 95F. I
still don't know how much vacuum will be needed. I haven't abandoned
the project, yet.

I had a link to someone who provides commercial systems for sale. I
can't locate it just now. They have everything from a Still to a
complete system including fermentation tanks and pumps, up to 1
million gallons/year.

If you find any further info, be sure to post it here.

Motie