I agree with you Jack, in part, though I don't quite know how you see it.

> > points.  If you are concerned with what shows up on
> > google's,etc...
> > search engines, then this forum has hidden agendas
> > that hurt rather
> > than help.

In the vast majority of cases it doesn't matter at all, but I've
recently had cause to point that out. But that just led to further
arguments and denials and so on that made it worse - ie more
questionable archive content for a search engine bot to trawl. A
hidden agenda, or just carelessness? Well, it's not a profitable
question to pursue at this stage, is it? I'm rather sorry it came up.
Not your fault though.

Anyway, it did come up, and needs comment. The archives is in fact
editable. I have edited it a couple of times, for innocuous reasons,
and in fact I have to do so again now, on request, to correct a
technical inaccuracy in a member's posting, where he said WVO when
he'd meant to say something else. But I'm extremely reluctant to
start editing it on this new basis. That it's "difficult not to edit
it", as said below, for those reasons, is just nonsense.

There's editing, and then there's censorship, different things. I'm a
professional editor, among my media hats, and I've fought censorship
all my life, and lived under it as imposed by an oppressive regime.

This is an unmoderated list, as I've said a couple of times recently.
I don't "act as a moderator". That would mean I was vetting messages
before releasing them to the list - censorship. I'm well aware
there's another meaning to "moderator", but it's a technical term on
these lists, as used by Yahoo, so let's not confuse the issue, eh? I
have put several members under moderation, for reasons I've recently
explained - the unsubscribe-challenged, for instance, who bother us
all with their misdirected messages. And trolls, a couple of times. I
don't think it's ever come to anything - it was just a precaution,
the trolls left, I never actually had to vet any messages.

I am the list owner, largely a technical matter to do with running
and maintaining the list, but also a matter of taking responsibility,
when the list's interests are threatened and need protecting. I don't
see any conflict between my role as list owner and that as a list
member - when it comes to discussions, I'm on the same basis as
anyone else. Pull rank? Give me a break! The only difference I can
see is that I post a lot of news items and so on to the list, much
more than other members do (though they're more than welcome!), and
that's probably or partly because I'm the list owner, with an eye to
the archives content as well.

I'm afraid I find the following discussion on "editing" and whether
or not I have a hidden agenda and what if anything I should be proud
of rather odious, and this trawling over what's past and done very
ill-considered. Letting sleeping dogs lie would surely have been
wiser.

This discussion is now closed. This is a list owner's ruling. Please take heed.

(Of course that doesn't apply to the WVO-dino bit of it, please feel free.)

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Osaka, Japan