By the way, there's a major magazine that wants to run a big piece on
trains, the lack thereof, in the US mainly, also elsewhere. I've been
asked to write it, but backed off - too much research, too far away.
I guess I could contribute on the "elsewhere" bit. Anyone know a
trains guru/advocate with the whole thing at his fingertips who might
be interested? Anyone like to contribute? It wouldn't be for a few
months, but this could be a chance to to something about it,
considering what Robert's been saying, all too true, and the figures
that Tim posted previously - once again:

Average BTU consumed Per Passenger mile by mode of travel:

SUV: 4,591
Air: 4,123
Bus: 3,729
Car: 3,672
Train: 2,138

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics
http://199.79.179.77/btsprod/nts/Ch4_web/4-20.htm

Let me know.

Thanks

Keith Addison