On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 12:42:44PM +0900, Keith Addison wrote:
> >there is so little life outside of IE, it's just not worth the extra
> >development time testing. 98 % of all web traffic among my many customers is
> >some form of IE.
> >

> >Steve Spence
> >Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
> >http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm
>
> I think non-Explorer browsers are certainly worth covering. At
> Journey to Forever, with about 120,000 hits a month, pretty much
> worldwide, we get a bit more than 75% Explorer, then everything else.
> Netscape's the main problem with html, not with Netscape 6 so much,
> but 6 is a small minority, less than the others - 4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7,
> are more popular. Netscape 4.7 is the most popular, at 7% - even
> Netscape 3 gets nearly 4%, LOL, that's 4200 hits a month (more than
> Netscape 6). I can't test for it, it crashes on a G4 running OS 9.1,
> but I'd not want to be excluding it. People with primitive browsers
> and primitive gear are important to us - Third World people maybe,
> local groups.
>
> Best
>
> Keith

      Right -- the point is, do you want to communicate or not? If so, then you
take the extra time to make
sure that it works with at least Netscape 4.x, When I hit a commercial website
that doesn't work right, I
might or might not take the time to tell the webmaster about it, but I'm sure
not going to buy anything from
them if they're too clueless to put up a website properly. And especially if I
get an arrogant answer like
"everybody uses IE so who cares?"  -- which often enough is exactly the answer.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix

FREE COLLEGE MONEY