> >This does not mean that ethical judgement will become obsolete, but
> >that ethics and practice will converge. The task of building an
> >energy-efficient localised economy at least 25 years too late may
> >well be futile - but there is one good outcome. This time, having
> >explored all alternatives, human society will be forced to do the
> >right thing.
>
>It's always nice to wake up to a naively optimistic email message,
>but let's get REAL here -- humans can ALWAYS find a way to do
>the WRONG thing, especially if they feel FORCED!  :-)

A very industrialised post-modern view, Ken - ie, naively
pessimistic. :-) Your "REAL" hasn't applied to most humans who've
lived, and still doesn't to most now alive, who're neither
industrialised nor post-modern, for the most part. Maybe they'll
succeed in skipping this little blip in history altogether, eh? Along
with its pessimisms. Though not, indeed, many of its side-effects, as
the article says, whether it paints the right scenario or not, even
if maybe not quite the side-effects he predicts. I don't think he
figures in nearly enough of the factors at play, but he could be
right, could be wrong. Right about some things.

Regards