Keith writes:

>A very industrialised post-modern view, Ken - ie, naively
>pessimistic. :-) Your "REAL" hasn't applied to most humans
>who've lived, and still doesn't to most now alive, who're
>neither industrialised nor post-modern, for the most part.
>Maybe they'll succeed in skipping this little blip in history
>altogether, eh? Along with its pessimisms.

If by people who're "neither industrialised nor post-modern"
you're thinking of the Yanomamo, you MAY be right, but I
think it's just the absence of a written history that allows us
to romanticize them and attribute great ethical standards to
them. The Native Americans, commonly praised for their
ecological sensitivity, could also be very brutal, and were
probably spared from decimating their environment only
by their low and sparse populations.

And if you mean anyone more modern, like say, in developing
African nations, or in central or southern Asia, well.....
enough said.

Mind you, I'm not saying people are all wretched, just that
they've never had a reputation for choosing the reasonable,
prudent, or RIGHT course, and I wouldn't expect them to
start now.