"Raffingora Garage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Africa Has self inflicted droughts.The continued nomadic destruction of the
>environment called poverty alleviation,come to Afrca and learn how to
>totally destruct the environment and abuse human rights and create poverty
>by law.

Hm, a happy citizen of the new South Africa it seems. Severe drought
in the south now, 12 million at risk, that's caused by pastoralists
and their much-vaunted but non-existent nomadic destruction? I don't
think so. Half a million facing starvation in Angola - because of the
reasons you state or because of a thoroughly evil civil war that
would have been over decades ago but for US interference and that of
their proxies in the apartheid regime? Zimbabwe, sure, there you have
a case, but the extraordinary thing is that they didn't kill all the
whites 20 years ago, as would have happened in a similar situation in
many other parts of the world. Same goes for Sunny South Africa. East
Africa? Pastoralists there yes, and much put upon they are, but
please try to relate their pastoralism to drought and hunger with
some evidence rather than just "I say so." I don't think you'll find
any evidence. One reason for the hunger, among many others, is the
over-dominance of maize (exacerbated by food aid) to the exclusion
and neglect of many local crops that are better adapted, less
destructive and more nutritious.

South Africa certainly knows a lot about creating poverty by law, but
that's an old thing there rather than a new one. "Come to Africa" - I
spent 30 years there, and I think what impressed me more than
anything else is people's capacity to be blind to anything other than
their own cherished notions. All those starving children in the
backyard servants' quarters of rich white homes in Johannesburg and
elsewhere - "But we just didn't know, why didn't they tell us?" And:
"We treat our servants like human beings." Do they still say that
there?

It's an Africa-wide phenomenon, this kind of blindness and the damage
it causes - Third World-wide in fact. Here are a couple of examples:

Sustainable Agriculture Pushing Back the Desert -- 24 Mar 2002:
Desertification - land degrading into desert - is often blamed on
mismanagement and misuse of land. Local people are allegedly guilty
of over-farming, over-grazing and allowing their populations to
exceed the environment's capacity. Lim Li Ching contests this myth,
describing how local farmers in arid Africa are using innovative
means to farm productively without destroying the environment, and
highlights some criteria for sustainable agriculture. [more]
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/desertification.php

Good report, have a read.

Here's another: "Leave the farmers alone"
http://journeytoforever.org/keith_paul.html

... or stick to your cherished notions, whichever you prefer.

Keith Addison

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM