Keith Addison wrote:

> Think tank director Cole points to one solution that few consider: a
> new generation of cleaner diesel engines.
>
> "A Chevrolet Suburban with a diesel engine would get 30% better fuel
> economy and produce 30% less carbon dioxide," he said. "But
> California doesn't like diesels."

It's hard to imagine anyone who has ever driven a diesel falling out of
love with them. I say that as a parent of a child with asthma, in which
I suspect Japan's diesel-polluted air is a significant aggravating
factor. A hearty "Amen!" to the need for cleaner engines. It would be
awesome to see what could result from the right combination of biofuels
and better engines. It's a shame when diesel technology is written off
in people's minds because they can't envision or imagine it as
potentially much cleaner than it has been in the past.

Christopher Witmer
Tokyo

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!