O Fuelish Ones,

I am trying to discover ways of making stationary diesels (e.g.,
permanently installed electrical generator engines) less polluting, and
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, ideas, avenues to pursue and
other tidbits of wisdom that might be useful.

It stands to reason that there are a lot of things one would hesitate to
try on an automobile, but which would't present any great problems for a
diesel engine that was never moved around.

Some possibilities that occur to me (I'm thinking out loud here and
would appreciate other ideas as well as comments if any of those listed
would seem to be unfruitful):

* Combustion of biofuels (doh!) and (*if* they can be burned cleanly
enough) waste petroleum based lubricating oils

* Addition of water at just the right point in the cycle

* Addition of methane at the air intake

* Careful filtration of both lubricants and fuels

* Optimum use of heat coming off the engine (also cools engine better)

* Addition of a turbocharger

* Addition of exhaust filtration/scrubbing device(s) -- preferably
buildable and maintainable by the user! -- again, bulky size isn't so
much of an issue with the stationary engine

* Addition of an exhaust catalytic converter *if* durable and cheap enough!

Thanks,

Christopher Witmer
The Fuelish Acolyte
Tokyo