----- Original Message -----
From: "Kim & Garth Travis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 06:25
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Sewage & Waste Water - was: Somewhat OT: AnimalWaste

> Dumb question time - where do the heavy metals in the sludge and sewage
> come from?  I use my grey water to water my garden and compost toilets
> to fertilize my fruit trees.

Heavy metals can come from all sorts of different sources.  Copper, tin,
lead and zinc can come from the water pipe and water fixtures in the house,
in high or low quanties depending on how hard or soft your water is.
Stainless steel can release nickel in trace quanties, but it takes an
extreamly long time to build up to problem levels from this source. Ceramics
that have improperly fired glazes on cookware and tableware can release
lead, cadmium, zinc, colbalt, and other metals.  Water from wells may have
high levels of heavy metals in it, if the water goes thru a naturely
occuring deposit of the metal on the way to the well.  It used to be that
the ink for the colored pictures in newspaper had  lead in it, now many
newspapers use a soy based ink for the color pictures.  Old paint can have a
very high level of lead in it, high enough that oxidized paint dust will be
on all the food you eat and the very air you inhale.  Alumimium has been
under suspition for contributing to Alzhimers.

> Am I in danger of heavy metal poisoning?

Depends. How old is the water pipe in your house, the water hard or soft,
are the pipe joints tin/lead or silver? Do you eat or cook with ceramics,
were they made outside of the U.S.?  Is the paint in your house lead free?
Some plants are more likely to take up metals than others.  It is once you
start answering these questions that you will get an idea of just what kind
of danger you are in.

Greg H.