I believe quicklime is the same thing we natural builder types use for
lime plaster. For plastering, there is a cheap or free source of it in some
areas: waste slag from acetylene plants. They often are happy to give it
away, and have a mountain of the stuff. That's the good news. the bad news
is that what';s perfect for lime plaster is wet- lime putty or 'slaked
lime' and that's what the waste product from acetylene mostly is. But
apparently some of the 7-foot high mountain of lime putty my co-worker
recently 'mined' at an acetylene plant was a crust of dried out hard crud.
Would this free resource be useful for dessicating ethanol, or am I wrong
on my definitions?
girl Mark

At 07:04 PM 8/27/02 +0000, you wrote:
>From: Ken Provost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: molecular sieves for dehydrating ethanol
>
>Keith writes:
>

> >Quicklime or 3A, I don't think we need any other answers.
>

>Actually, I'm looking again at the whole azeotropic distillation
>thing. The problem with quicklime is GETTING it, of course,
>and the fact that it's just another nonrenewable resource unless
>you plan on setting up your own lime kiln to regenerate it.
>Same with zeolite -- and solar's no good for drying 'em unless
>you use a good-sized dish.
>
>Breaking the ethanol-water azeotrope with some gasoline
>(which would have to be completely recovered) might be doable
>in a solar still like the one I'm already using to recover methanol.
>Gotta think some more about how to do the whole process in
>a completely passive (no pumps) way........-K
>

>_

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM