The following is response to an off-list inquiry made about an
article based upon David Pimental's representations as to
ethanols dis-economics. It might make better sense to read the
original inquiry first, then the response.

Todd Swearingen

Dear [snip],

First, I would care to enquire as to what your relationship and
interest to the study, Pimental and any other researchers may be.

Second, a person need not be expert in any particular field to
discern that Pimental's study is largely lacking in multiple
areas. Due diligence is sufficient to reveal many of the flaws.
You can take one look at the article, make one call to your
nearest ag agent, put pen to paper and determine that his
calculations are all too frequently derived from inflated
assumptions, perspectives and allocations.

One could start with the premise that the average gasoline
powered automobile in the US only achieves a fuel economy of
~11.74 miles per gallon. That is gravely erroneous.

One could continue with the premise that it takes 11 acres to
grow enough ethanol to propel same vehicle 10,000 miles each
year. At a national average of ~120 bushels of corn/acre,
yielding almost exactly 2.5 gallons per bushel, Mr. Pimental
suggests that it will take 7.16 acres to grow enough fuel to
produce the 852 gallons that will be derived from the remaining
2.84 acres. This in itself does not jibe with Mr. Pimental's
energy input/output ratios.

One could also take into consideration the negative impact that
Pimental gives to agricultural subsidies while attributing no
weight to fossil fuels subsidies and the costs resulting from
them. This is an uneven and inappropriate tactic. Apples to
apples is the appropriate method, not pears to squirrels.

One could point out that Mr. Pimental makes no effort to
ameliorate the production cost of ethanol by including the
principal co-products of corn-based ethanol manufacture - oil,
soap stock, lecithin and brewers' grains. In fact, Mr. Pimental
would like to leave anyone who reads his "study" or articles
based upon his "study" believing that only ethanol is produced
from corn, therefore all costs and energy inputs/outputs should
be assessed soley against the ethanol fraction.

This is bogus, which any statistician, bean counter, economist
or 1st year middle school student knows.

The declaration also is made that it takes 11 acres to feed seven
Americans. It is obvious by such a claim that Mr. Pimental is at
best deriving his numbers from a heavily impalanced, factory
farmed, meat centered diet where the majority of the acreage is
used to produce grains and other feed for livestock, not humans.
This in itself shows a severe bias towards inflated numbers and
gives one cause to question if total exports of agricultural
products were subtracted from his equations prior to their
concoction.

Throw in this "whopper" for good measure. Total US dry land mass
is 3,536,278 square miles, or 2,263,217,920 acres. Pimental's own
numbers and those from the article include that the average auto
travels 10,000 miles, consuming 852 gallons of ethanol (if E-100
powered), that the average acre produces 126.96 bushels of corn,
that the average yield of ethanol per bushel is 2.58 gallons,
that the energy ratio is 1.70 to 1.0 (2.70 total gallons of
ethanol per gallon produced) and that 97% of the US land mass
would have to be planted in corn to meet this demand. (That's
total land mass, not just arable land.)

(2,263,217,920 x 126.96 x 2.58) / (832 x 2.7) = 330,009,090
"average" automobiles traversing the US, at 10,000 miles each.

Oddly, the poplulation of the US is ~281,421,906 (year 2000
census, excluding service men and women overseas). Equally as odd
is that US automobile insurers rate the average driver at ~10,000
miles annually. Subtracting from the population those youth not
yet of driving age (under 16 years old) leaves you with
217,149147 persons old enough to drive. Subtracting the
population older than 80 years of age leaves you with
~207,964,163 persons capable of driving the requisite 10,000
miles per year.

That makes Pimental's numbers incredulously inflated by 36.98% -
a rather large margin of miscalculation. Couple that with an
obviously errant average fuel economy of 11.74 mpg when 20 mpg is
closer to realistic. That's an approximate 41.32% total
consumption error, bringing the total land mass "necessarily"
covered by maize down to ~40.08%. Multiply that times the ~63.02%
of actual drivers, rather than Pimental's 36.98% inflated number,
and you come up with ~25.26% of the total land mass covered by
corn, not the 97% that is mis-represented.

(I wonder if Pimental would consider the difference
"significant?")

Couple all of these errors made by Pimental with fuel economy
constantly being on the rise and you begin to see even more
monumental reductions in Pimental's mis-representations. Aside
from the fact that Pimental was heavily in error when he first
presented his "study," he and it are even more irrelevant with
each new hybrid or fuel efficient Jetta, Geo or other auto that
goes into circulation.

Yet numerous people off-handedly accept Pimental's "study"
without much question. Why? Because he has a few letters dangling
from his last name?

As I said before [Snip], even a 1st year middle school student
could legitimately poke holes in Pimental's work, which is
largely what has been occurring since it came out.

Maybe you know of a person or two who would be interested in a
gravy masters or doctoral thesis?

Hope the perspectives help. It's time for me to "clock back in."

Todd Swearingen