Hakan,

> > >I do not think it opens up many materials, since more than
90%
> > >of our building materials have an emission factor around
0.9. In
> > >this context, I mentioned adding aluminium.
> >
> >Aluminum's greatest use is as a radiant barrier, and only if
air
> >flow is eliminated or almost entirely so on one side. Of and
by
> >itself it has largely no U- or R-value.
>
> Is this your conclusion or do you have a scientific background
for this?

Oh, it's a little bit of both, one predicated upon the other.
With an R-value of 0.00061 and a U-value of 1642.0 (No.....the
numbers did not get transposed.) aluminum is a rather poor
insulator. A great conductor and a great reflector, but not at
the top of its class as an insulator.

> Why should it have a value for its U- or R-value, it is a
radiant barrier?

I don't know. Why would any material be assigned an R- or
U-value? It might have something to do with knowing what its
properties are?

> What has this to do with air flow?

A radiant barrier serves virtually no purpose if it has
equivalent temperature air flow on both sides as a result of
improper instalation and a loose fit. The back side radiates
inwardly the very energy that it is expected to repel, completely
defeating its purpose.

> Why does it not have a large value for its emission factor
alone?

An aluminum wall 1" thick will emit or gain a considerable amount
of energy, giving it a very low R-value and an extremely high
U-value. It has the ability to reflect radiant heat rather well,
but of and by itself it is a poor insulator and is generally used
as a component of a sytem, not as a stand alone material.

> >Perhaps the entire website is one giant public service
> >message. You should be commended.
>
> Thank you, and one day it might be as complete and interesting
as Journey
> to Forever, if I can continue to work on it.

> > >You are right, especially if they do not take time to click
on
> >it.
> >
> >That's a bit of a disjointed response. You wrongly implied
that
> >only trained professionals can understand energy/construction
> >issues well, then offered up only a hot link as a response,
then
> >further implied that the content at that site can somehow
explain
> >away what came across as a pre-fabbed bias? Again, neither
your
> >hot link nor the content therein explains away such a sweeping
> >dispostion, no matter how many times its clicked upon.
>
> No, it was done in hope that you might read it, before we
continued a
> discussion.

Hakan, there is nothing on your website that explains or gives
you or anyone the right to automatically presume that anyone
falling short of an engineering professional doesn't understand
energy, construction and/or materials issues. Rather, your site
reflects quite the opposite, pointing out in numerous instances
where the so called "professionals" fall dismally short of
understanding the components and variables of the industry in
which they work.

No one is saying that when you walk into a reception celebrating
the recent completion of the most energy efficient building in
Amsterdam that everyone in the room will have a doctorate in the
materials, energy and engineering fields. Nor is anyone saying
that simply because one or more of the patrons doesn't have such
a degree that they are ignorant of such matters.....well....that
is no one except you, when you stated that a non-professional
couldn't be expected to understand such matters.

So how do you account for all the "professionals" that are so
dismally ignorant on the very counts that they should be so much
more knowledgable than the "laity?" Crib sheets when they took
their engineering exams?

> > >Thanks for explaining the meaning, can you also tell me the
> >origin of the
> > >analog.
> >
> >You have to empathize with the recipient to understand, or
else
> >experience it, either figuratively or literally.
>
> This is not an answer, what does 2 x 4 relate to?

Hakan, ask one of your construction friends to pick up a 2 x 4 of
reasonable length (2" x 4" piece of lumber) and then to
"broadside" you with it. I believe you will understand the
literal meaning rather quickly and hence forward possess a firm
grasp of the literay meaning as well.

> >R-13 is a fair insulator. U-13 is quite the opposite.
>
> This does not consolidate with what you said before, if this
are not a part
> a classification system that need to be defined.

Of course it does. The higher the R-number the better the
insulator. The lower the U-number the better the insulator.

R/1 = 1/U

> Each  country has its own
> ways of defining Thermal Building Codes. All except Sweden have
very poor
> scientific background.

Uhhhhhhh.......Excuse me?  This is the exact same type of
statement that gave cause for such great exception with your
earlier appraisal of non-professionals versus "professionals."
What have you been doing between posts? Sipping a bit too much of
the national pride?

>The total effect of the weather is often not
> correctly covered, the effect of the buildings emission/storage
capacity is
> mostly ignored and the interaction with the human body
forgotten

Sometimes. But not always, and certainly not by all people.

Todd Swearingen

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM