From: harmonseaver [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 12:53 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Re: What is the significance of compression ratio in
cogeneration context?

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Witmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What is the significance of diesel engine compression ratio in a
> cogeneration context? I have heard that with cogeneration, the higher
> the compression ratio the better. Can anyone tell me why? Is it because
> a higher compression ratio means more heat? And how high is "high" for
> readily available engines? I think my source said something to the
> effect that Cummins has some engines with relatively high compression
> ratios, beyond 20:1. Also, how easy is it to increase an engine's
> compression ratio? I seems to me that one could damage one's engine
> trying, if one was careless.

    I don't think it makes any difference in "cogeneration", per se,
the engines still run at the same operating temperature. Perhaps what
you are thinking of is that engines running on biomass gasifiers need
much higher compression, which is why diesels are used. Many diesels
have 25:1 compression, although some newer ones like the VW TDI's have
only about 18:1.
    You can quite easily raise compression ratio by having the
cylinder head milled off a bit, although that needs to be done after
careful computation of the deck height of the pistons in the cylinder
and the actual volume of the compression chamber in the head. For some
gasoline engines, high compression pistons are available, although
those are probably only going to take it to 11:1 or 12:1. Even for
ethanol you want at least 13:1.
    You can't raise it much more than that for a petrol engine, since
the piston crowns and connecting rods aren't strong enough. Bearings
also might be a problem. Better to use a diesel and convert it to
spark if necessary.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Home Selling? Try Us!