--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "harmonseaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Christopher Witmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What is the significance of diesel engine compression ratio in a
> > cogeneration context? I have heard that with cogeneration, the
higher
> > the compression ratio the better. Can anyone tell me why? Is it
because
> > a higher compression ratio means more heat? And how high
is "high" for
> > readily available engines? I think my source said something to
the
> > effect that Cummins has some engines with relatively high
compression
> > ratios, beyond 20:1. Also, how easy is it to increase an engine's
> > compression ratio? I seems to me that one could damage one's
engine
> > trying, if one was careless.
>
>     I don't think it makes any difference in "cogeneration", per se,
> the engines still run at the same operating temperature. Perhaps
what
> you are thinking of is that engines running on biomass gasifiers
need
> much higher compression, which is why diesels are used. Many diesels
> have 25:1 compression, although some newer ones like the VW TDI's
have
> only about 18:1.
>     You can quite easily raise compression ratio by having the
> cylinder head milled off a bit, although that needs to be done after
> careful computation of the deck height of the pistons in the
cylinder
> and the actual volume of the compression chamber in the head. For
some
> gasoline engines, high compression pistons are available, although
> those are probably only going to take it to 11:1 or 12:1. Even for
> ethanol you want at least 13:1.
>     You can't raise it much more than that for a petrol engine,
since
> the piston crowns and connecting rods aren't strong enough. Bearings
> also might be a problem. Better to use a diesel and convert it to
> spark if necessary.

 The easiest way to raise the 'effective' compression ratio is to add
a turbo-charger. The standard practice, when raising the
horsepower/efficiency output of an engine, is to lower the
compression ratio, and compensate with a turbo-charger. It is the
cylinder pressure that we are really after. 25-35 PSI in the intake
manifold will drastically increase output.

http://www.dieselinjection.net

http://www.dieselinjection.net/articles.html

These sites will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about
high-horsepower Diesels.
 Motie

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM