Spoke last night with a relative in NYC, asking about living there,
how she liked it.  She volunteered that she liked it and it was home.
The only complaint she voiced was as to air quality.

This was a bit unexpected... I wasn't looking to have a conversation
about any of the enviro-stuff that I am involved in, and I guess I'd
sort of come to take it for granted that many US cities have made
sufficient progress on air quality issues so that it's not as
prominent a problem any more.

She particularly singled out large trucks and busses in certain parts
of town.

I brought to her attention this issue of recycling waste oil from
restauraunts and so forth, I mentioned the impounding of cars in
Britain (as evidence of the commonality of doing this), I forwarded
her that interesting WSJ article from last year, and asked about what
progress had been made in NYC in using the waste for biofuels,
particularly given that some folks in NYC may now wish to use less
Saudi-derived fuel.

The entire issue seemed to be somewhat unfamiliar to her.

I have one reservation, however offbeat, which under the Precautionary
Principle, I am required to follow up on: what is the latest word on
that recent surprising research finding as to the allegedly
carcinogenic properties of French Fries and other fried potatos
products?  I can't recall the name of the chemical they said they were
finding that was of concern.

In any case, I can't help but look askance at why NYC hasn't been a
bit more autonomous about getting biofuel programs in place, never
mind the Federal Government.  Maybe they have proceeded and made
progress and I've just missed it.

MM

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM