>Hi Keith,
>
>I do not find any mention or defense of the US in my text

Didn't say there was, but it's your usual drift, isn't it? I said
it's "what you seem to think", and indeed it is.

>and I agree with
>much of what you said. I do still maintain that there are many more
>countries represented at the UN that do not meet the Hakan test of a
>democracy

I don't think Hakan made such a test. I don't think you've understood
what he said. Try reading it again.

>and If we were to look at it from a one person one vote it would
>be even worse. That makes the UN a poor candidate for a Democratic World
>Government.

Hakan did not propose a Democratic World Government, he specifically
didn't say that. He said the UN is the only organisation which
somewhat represents a world democracy. No, not just a quibble. And
the "somewhat" is important, he also said it's not very suitable in
its present form.

What difference does "one person one vote" make when non-person
corporations that are inimical to democracy and the public interest
can buy off the entire political apparatus? It's just a meaningless
formula now, it obscures the reality as much as reveals it. How many
of those increasingly meaningless votes even get cast? - or how few
rather? You think that's what "democracy" means? You have to abandon
these formulas and look at what really happens in people's lives. How
about a rich country that didn't allow its women to vote until 13
years ago? Probably some backward oil sheikhdom in the Gulf or
something, eh? Switzerland, actually. I think it's the oldest
democracy in the world, going back to the 13th century, and much
admired, though certainly not without its flaws. Everywhere you look
you find exceptions to these simplistic formulas, both better and
worse. I don't want to interpret what Hakan said, but I believe he
was talking about realities, not just empty forms.

Switzerland, by the way, modelled its current federal constitution on
the US, in 1848. Government there is a very local business, strictly
bottom-up, the federal government is tiny and hardly seems to matter.
There's no clear division between the governing party and the
opposition. The Swiss don't just vote once in four years, they seem
to be voting most of the time - in fact they vote whenever they feel
like it, it's a citizens' right to organize a referendum on just
about anything. Interest and turnouts are high. Not so easy to
recognise today's US in that mirror image, is it?

>Do please stop putting words in other peoples mouths and we could do with a
>lot less of your personal slander. If you used your mind in a constructive
>way I think you could make a  valid point with out personal attacks.

Now there's a thing. I wonder what Harmon thinks of that? You sure
slandered him, without either provocation or justification. Slander,
yes - what you said about him wasn't true. You were asked some
pertinent questions about that, to which you never deigned to reply.
Perhaps you should. Maybe they're kind of awkward for you, but at
least try, it would help your credibility. Now please tell me who
I've slandered, and exactly how? You put words in Harmon's mouth, now
in Hakan's, you've misconstrued mine. You're rather heavily tarred
with your own brush, Mr Vern. I doubt I'd be very impressed by your
views on constructive use of the mind and what constitutes a valid
point.

Keith