Hi Ken

>As interested as I am in the political discussion, I also have a very
>specific biodiesel question.

It's okay, you're allowed to ask biodiesel questions too, LOL!

>In the section of J-to-F showing Aleks'
>acid-base method, picture 7 is labelled "first-stage glycerine" and
>shows a layer of glycerine under some biodiesel/oil combination.
>Was this a bit of "fudging" on his part, or maybe just a mislabelling?
>I've tried a lot of different ways to get a true TRANSesterification,
>with glycerine separation, using only conc. H2SO4 as a catalyst,
>and I've NEVER gotten it to work. Anybody out there ever had success
>as shown in picture 7 using only acid?

It wasn't fudging on Aleks's part. Actually it's the original
picture, from the original process. Last time Aleks updated it he
changed the process quite a lot. When we were going through it all
prior to uploading I queried the pics with him and he said they were
okay. Later somebody wrote to me offlist asking the same question,
about #7. I asked Aleks, and he said this:

"Everything it's like it should be. Different fats will give different
colours, a large and small batch are never the same, you know, reaction
kinetics is quite different in a small reactor than in a large one,
this can affect product appearance ... I don't know. Photos are OK."

So that's his experience. In the original process he drained the glyc
after the 1st stage, now he doesn't. I've only used the process a few
times, IIRC I've had 1st stage glyc and I think one time I didn't. Or
was it more than one time? Sorry, can't remember. Anyway it worked
okay, except with one batch of oil where nothing worked, it was badly
polluted with something or other, and very high FFAs. To think people
actually ate food cooked in that stuff, and paid for it too. There
should be some transesterification in the 1st stage, but are you
getting a good product at the end without it?

Best

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/FGYolB/TM