--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "motie_d" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The folks in the biofuel groups would probably want to read this
> story
> > and offer their opinions also.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:21:41 -0500, you wrote:
> > >The line about no till is a scam.  It is illegal to till.
>
> We need some clarification on this statement. Where is it illegal
for
> a farmer to till his fields?

It is not illegal to till agricultural ground.  Each farmer is
formally required -by law- to control the noxious weeds on their
property. To till the ground is a quick and time accepted method to
control weeds and to prepare the ground for the next planting cycle.

However

In my experience, low till / no till farming is an excellant
environmentally friendly method to slow or stop wind and water
erosion.  It also increases the health of the soil by composting the
crop residue.  It also provides ground cover for the natural wildlife
in the area.

in a no till operation,
Soy Bean Ground is left as-is after harvest. Corn Ground is usually
just stock chopped and then left to winter over.  The next spring a
planter that has a chopper wheel attached is used to plant the seeds
directly thru the organic residue.

in a low till operation,
the same techniques are used but a quick once-over pass with a disk
or similar tractor implement prepares the ground for planting.

both of these techniques reduce fuel consumption and soil compaction
and soil erosion and improves wildlife ground cover.