From: greenercars [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 11:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: green diesel

Martin,

Thanks for your question.  In our rankings, we only evaluate OEM
vehicles run on conventional fuels.  We evaluate alt-fuel vehicles, but
only those that are dedicated.  E85 vehicles, for instance, are very
rarely run on an ethanol blend, so we only score them with the use of
gasoline.  Ditto for biodiesel/diesel.  It's not an issue of us
intentionally leaving a certain fuel out, but rather an attempt to
accurately depict the environmental performance of a vehicle used by an
average consumer.

I agree that environmental benefits can be achieved over current diesel
emissions levels through the use of biodiesel.  However, at this time,
the availability of biodiesel amounts to only a fraction of the amount
of diesel that's consumed, to say nothing of gasoline consumption.

We do score conventional diesel vehicles, namely VW's TDi models.  The
TDis are impressive engines.  But they also do emit higher levels of NOx
and PM than comparable gasoline vehicles.  Improvements are being made
on diesels in general, however, with new aftertreatment devices (for
example, NOx adsorbers, particulate traps, integrated systems, etc.),
but those will ultimately require low-sulfur fuel to operate properly.
Personally, I expect we'll be seeing greener diesel vehicles in the
years to come.  I look forward to watching the developments.

Kind Regards,
Jim Kliesch
Co-author, ACEEE's Green Book

>>> "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/20/02 20:33 PM >>>
Could you tell me why it is that you do not include any diesel vehicles
in your greenest cars list?
Biodiesel fuel has no sulfur, which allows catalytic converters to be
used, therefore NOx emissions are low.

---
Martin Klingensmith
nnytech.net
infoarchive.net

ˇFREE Health Insurance Quotes-eHealthInsurance.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/1.voSB/RnFFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM