Ad hoc comment:

One of the issues that tugs at me when I have seen recent "debate" (or
quasi-science or shouting) over whether some of the biofuels are
"sustainable" is that the fuel itself, if it is a relatively simple
standardizeable not-horrifically-toxic chemical, is a somewhat
*separate issue* from how it is derived.

So, a debate over the sustainability of ethyl alcohol as a "fuel of
the future", whether it took place in the 30s or today, should include
the concept that while it may well be presently sourced from much
agriculture or semi-agriculture, I'd think we could somehow
*manufacture* such a fuel, going forward, by new innovative methods as
well.  What is to prevent us, with all the scientists we have sitting
around, from taking some solar-derived electricity and trying to make
such relatively simple chemical compounds as ethyl alcohol from widely
available chemicals such as water and CO2 and O2 and what-have-you.

MM