On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:10:53 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>Backward compatability does not seem to be at
>issue.

Yes and no.  Once it is established that backward compatability is not
at issue or is mostly not at issue, for dino-diesel engines, then this
information needs to be disseminated or chewed over by people such as
myself in our battles comparing biodiesel, as an alt-fuel, with the
half-dozen or more other
supposedly-superior-to-everything-under-the-sun alt-fuel proposals
(such as for Propane, CNG, electricity, H2, Hythane, etc.) that we
hear every week.  Then there are nuances to the debate in other
alt-fuels.

With electricity, for example, we have all sorts of charger proposals
with all levels of safety or claimed safety, convencience, time of
recharge (very important with EV and grid-chargeable hybrid proposals,
etc.)  Electricity is more backwards-compatible with present
infrastructure in one sense than other alt-fuels, because the means
for distributing the fuel all well-estalished all over the place.
Then if you have a standard plug on your EV it is very compatible
(assuming you install proper charger and safety equipment in your
garage).  But those standard plugs may or may not be not tops in other
areas such as safety or efficiency or time-to-recharge, so there are
just lots of details as you can see.

Not to say that this non-biofuel-stuff is what you took away from my
mention of backwards compatability, but once I can hear clearly from
folks such as yourself on the finer points (if any) of biodiesel in
all areas, such as backwards compatability, then I can try, as I have
been, to bring this to other folks who don't know as much about it, in
the "energy policy debates" that are where I'm sort of coming from.

So, I cannot as easily dismiss this debate, although I could see for
someone like yourself that getting it momentarily out of the way would
be critical to getting-your-tasks-done.

MM