From: Michael Henry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 8:49 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] cold weather starting

I've actually just bought my first diesel car, and this is one of my
main concerns (as I said, I don't really know anything!) - If I go
skiing and can't plug my car in, for the day or sometimes even for a few
days, do you have tips on starting it when I want to get home? Is this
something I need to worry about? Sounds like you have lots of
experience, and I really don't know what to expect going into my first
winter with a diesel. When I get that far, I'm also planning to mix
biodiesel with petro diesel to reduce cold weather starting problems. Is
that a good solution?

While it may not be a real problem at all, It may be a percieved problem
with diesel - for people like me who don't know much about it but what
they've heard. The effect can be the same.

Mike

Hakan Falk wrote:

>I had diesel cars the last 26 years as private vehicle, both in Sweden and
>after I moved to middle and southern Europe. In Sweden it was often minus
>25 Celsius in the winter and minus 15 Celsius in Central Europe. The only
>time I had serious problem was one time when I was skiing in Sweden and it
>was minus 40 Celsius for a couple of days. Had to heat it up and then put
>20% Kerosene in the tank. Could not ski anyway, since the risk for bad
>frostbites was too big.
>
>Hakan
>
>PS. during the same period I had gasoline company cars.
>

>At 10:34 AM 12/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>I don't really know what I'm talking about, but from a Canadian
>>perspective I think diesel is widely considered a "dirty" fuel (and it
>>sounds like the truth of this is what you're researching), but also it's
>>hard to start when it's minus 20 degrees, which is a real, if
>>surmountable, problem in this climate   - this second point would also
>>apply to some areas in the US.
>>
>>Mike

European