Robert writes:

>  I cringed at all the concrete we used building this house.  My only
>philosophical relief comes from knowing that we wasted very little
>concrete, whereas a lot drywall, vinyl siding (another compromise
>to suit local building guidelines) and other materials went to the
>landfill.  Most of the dimensional lumber left over will be burned
>this winter to keep my in laws' house warm.  I hope to significantly
>lessen the environmental impact of the next house we build. . .

I was thinking about maybe a raised floor (crawlspace) using "engineered
wood products" (I-joists) spanning a perimeter foundation. Subfloor could
be Oriented Strand Board or something similar, then a radiant heating system
set into a thin-slab on top of that. Might be a good compromise --
less concrete
overall, more wood than a slab floor, but at least wood from small scrappier
trees, and easy access to the plumbing, sewer lines, and wiring underneath.

What do you folks think? (BTW, there sure seems to be a lot of expertise in
this group on the subject of house construction!  Please keep it
coming...  :-))