> If somebody, like me for example, would claim that this looks like a
>hidden subsidy to the American car industry and as such is against WTO
>rules. This based on availability and possible planning advantages in favor

>of the US domestic industry. What would be your answer?

I would say you are not looking very hard.  If somone buys an IMPORTED
S.U.V., they get
the same tax break.   How exactly does this favor the US industry.

While we are at it.. explain how the TAX BREAKS FOR Electric Vehicles and
Hybrids
help the domestic auto industry, given that there are no domestic Hybrids on
the market?

Doh!