From: kavitha palaniappan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 2:35 AM
Subject: RE: [biofuel] Biodiesel using acid catalyst

> Hi Filip,
> You are absolutely right!  I am going through the learning
curve and I used 30% ethanol to oil ratio.  At the very
beginning, I had tried with methanol and base catalyst (NaOH) and
I also succeeded in getting good quality biodiesel.  But, during
my first review at college, my prof. said that I should try with
ethanol as methanol is carcinogenic.  So, I tried ethanol with
base catalyst.  Unfortunately, NaOH was not sufficiently soluble
in ethanol and the process resulted only in soap formation (the
whole mass solidified).  This, I tried with different ratios of
ethanol to oil and the result was the same.  So, I switched over
to acid catalyst.  Moreover, I was considerably encouraged by
some chemistry books which said that acid catalysts work faster
than base catalysts.
> So, now, do you mean to say that whatever I suspected as
biodiesel with ethanol+acid catalyst is not biodiesel at all?  Is
it just a blend of ethanol with oil?  Will I get into trouble if
I use it in the engine?  If yes, what sort of problems would I
have to face?
> How can I go about with acid-base catalysis as the base seems
to be sparingly soluble in ethanol?  Kindly help me!
> Kavitha.
>  "filip.ponsaerts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Kavitha,
>
> From your mail above, I suspect you are just going through the
learning curve,
> just as I did recently (and still are)
> 1) Two layers, top with properties of ethanol, lower as
biodiesel....
> I suspect you used +25% ethanol to oil ratio... You have most
likely the
> undisolved ethanol on top, with some components of the oil
still dissolved,
> hence the color. The oil layer will be saturated with some
dissolved ethanol,
> which gives the oil some properties like biodiesel (e.g.
viscosity)
> 2) Ethanol is much more difficult to work with. Take it from
me, and I'm sure,
> the rest of the people on this forum... start with methanol
until you got this
> up and running.
> 3)If I understand correctly you are ONLY using acid. Acid
transesterification
> is VERY slow, and hard to get above 50-65% yield. Read in the
chemistry
> books... good for labs, but for industrial use, you would need
+200 degrees
> celsius and high pressure to get higher yield in reasonable
time.

> Look for acid-base, or base only scenarios, certainly to start
with.

> Regards,
> Filip

> Biofuels list archives: