FARMERS OPINION
     I have been a "lurker" for several years.  I enjoy hearing the opinions
and thoughts of all of you out there posting to this board.  I commend you
for sharing your ideas and technology with regards to any type of
alternative fuel (biofuel or not).  I also commend you for allowing
discussion between posters of off-topic subjects.  I think most of these
off-topic conversations are indeed connected with our energy supply here in
the USA and the world in general.  The creation and use of  "any"
alternative energy does have a place on this board.
      With that said let me introduce myself and explain my personal farming
operation so that you might better understand  how my opinions have been
formed over the years.  I sincerely believe that my personal, financial, and
farming experiences are probably a good example of some "real farmers"  in
the USA today.
       I live in the Big Horn Basin of Wyoming, am married, and have two
sons ages 19 and 21.  I have been farming since 1981.  My father was a
farmer as was his father.  My great grandfather immigrated to the US around
the turn of the century from the Volga Valley in Russia-Germany.  He was a
farmer as well.  I raise sugar beets, malt barley, dry beans, and alfalfa
seed.  I farm about 500 acres of irrigated land.   I (and the bank) own 350
acres and I rent 150 acres.  For every dollar of assets I have 75 cents
worth of debt - this ratio fluctuates from year to year by as much as 10%.
My total debt on land and equipment is close to $500,000.
        On a typical year I will borrow at least $200,000 to operate my
farm.  At the end of the year I will pay back the $200,000 plus interest.  I
will also make an interest and principal payment on the land and equipment
debt.  Every spring when I plant a crop I make the following
assumptions......
               weather will be good
               irrigation water will be adequate
               interest rates will remain constant
               prices for fertilizer, seed, pesticides, labor, etc will not
go up more that I have projected
               prices for the crops that I raise will not go down any lower
than I have projected
               I will be able to work every day and not be laid up by some
health problem or accident
               my estimated yields for each crop will be at least what I
have projected and no lower
     I realize  that other types of business make similar projections of
expenses, income and productivity.
The difference is that other businesses set their own price for their goods
and services.  They all work with similar costs and
are rewarded if they can manage financial, labor, overhead, etc. expenses
better than their competitor down the street or across the nation.   If
they do this they have a higher profit margin and will stay in business
unlike some of their competitors.
As you read this I am sure all of you think - so what, farms and ranches
that produce food are no different.  Well I am here to tell you there is a
lot of difference.  With the typical business in any community across the US
there is a finite number of customers for the product or service that is
offered for sale.  If there are 100 gas stations  and 50 clothing stores in
small city and there are only customers for half this many gas stations and
clothing stores then 50% of them will go out of business in a short time.
If somehow some of them are able to lower their costs and consequently lower
their prices to consumers then they will remain in business.  At the same
time this happens, all of their competitors have to lower their prices to
stay competitive.
Wall-Mart is a good example of this.   Some small businesses can compete
with Wall-Mart and some can't.  What happened to the finite number of
customers you ask.  They are still there.  As the price of goods and
services go down to the consumer they will buy more clothes, gas, cars,
toys, homes, etc.  If there income has gone up they will even consume more
of these items.  The cheaper these goods and services become the more people
will buy them.  There is a limit to this scenario on the production side of
these products.  If the producers of these goods and services can no longer
lower their costs and consequently their prices then the finite number of
customers comes into play.  At some point if prices remain the same the
finite number of customers will limit the number or size of businesses that
remain profitable.  The average consumer will buy a third car, a tenth suit
or dress, a larger home, take another vacation, etc. if given the financial
means to do so but there is a point where this stops based on the finite
number of consumers.
         The production of food from farms and ranches in the USA and the
world does have its similarities to other goods and services but it also has
some huge differences.  Food is a basic necessity for life unlike the third
car, larger home, etc.  There is an infinite number of consumers for cheap
food worldwide.  Basic food - corn, soybeans, wheat, etc is a world
commodity that has no limit for consumption at a cheap price.  There is a
finite number of  consumers for cheap food in the US.
The average consumer of food in the US will not eat more food in a given
day.  Yes he or she will eat and pay for higher quality, easier to prepare,
steak vs. hamburger, etc. but not more food in general.  As an individual
farmer or rancher I am forced to do the same thing any business is to
survive.  Because my costs of production go up every year like most
businesses I have  simple choices - either raise my price or produce more
for less.  Raising my price is not an option it just doesn't work that way
for an individual farm or ranch.  As I said before there is a worldwide
market for the food we produce at a cheap price.  There are large commodity
companies that buy my crop right off of the farm and distribute it world
wide - the cheaper it is the more they can handle and sell and the more
profit they make.  That leaves me with the choice of producing more for
less.  The American farmer and rancher has been doing this for the last 100
years to survive.  We have been doing this with the help of US land grant
universities in each state around the country.  And yes we do receive help
from the USDA in many different ways.  And yes we do receive other help from
the US government in the form of subsidy payments, import quota's, disaster
aid, drought aid, etc.  After seeing people in Europe starve during  the
early 1900's  the US government adopted what we farmers and ranchers call
the "cheap food policy".   Our government never wanted to see the people in
the US go hungry like the Europeans did.   Consequently the US government
has encouraged overproduction of food in the US so it would always be
available (in surplus) and be available at a cheap price to the consumer.
This is an admirable policy and it has worked well for the American
consumer.  You say, oh but the price of food has gone up, and you are
right - to a point.
I will not quote all of the numbers but you are welcome to look them up
yourself.  The percentage of average  consumer disposable income spent on
food has declined steadily since 1900.  The producers (farmer and rancher)
share of this food dollar has remained constant or gone up very little in
the last 50 years.  Most all of the price increase in the cost of food has
been in the freight, processing, packaging, and marketing area.  Very little
of the price increase of food can you blame on the American farmer or
rancher.  If you don't believe me do some research and you will see that I
am right.  A simple example of this is what farmers in the Big Horn Basin of
Wyoming are paid for malt barley at the present time.  In the late 1960's we
were getting paid about $8 per cwt for malt barley in Basin,Wy, a case of
premium beer (Bud or Coors) was about $4.50.  In 2003 we will be paid $7.25
per cwt and the same beer sells for about $12.  If you look at dry
beans(pinto beans), sugar beets(sugar), and almost any other food item you
will find that the producer(farmer/rancher) is getting the same price he was
20, 30, and 50 years ago.  Over this same period prices for basic equipment
to raise these crops has increased dramatically - 100 hp tractor in 1970 was
$15,000 and in 2003  is $80,000.  To keep up with these rising costs of
production, stagnant commodity prices, and lower consumer food dollar share
farmers and ranchers have done one or both of the following.  We have
increased yield per acre and or expanded (increased the size of our store
not unlike Wall-Mart).  The expansion process has not necessarily increased
commodity production it has simply increased efficiencies and profit
margins.  This is why you see more and more large corporate farms across the
country - Wall-Mart type farms.  This expansion in size has been a
relatively recent development coming on slowly for the past 20 to 30 years.
I think it has dramatically escalated in the last 10 years though.  Part of
the expansion process has involved farming land that was not farmed 30 years
ago and this has contributed to surplus commodity stocks and lower prices.
The main thing that farmers have done to produce the commodity surpluses we
see today is produce more of the same crop per acre or simply put -
increased yields.  We have done this through the use of new varieties,
increased use of fertilizer, and many other management practices that are
becoming more perfected every year.
       I agree some of these practices are not easy on the environment and
do contribute to the polluting of our planet.  But it is not by choice that
we as farmers and ranchers do this,  it is by necessity - the necessity to
survive and make a living doing what we do best.   We (farmers and ranchers)
collectively are our own worst enemy.  The more we produce as an individual
farm or ranch business to survive and make a living the more we contribute
to the surplus of a given commodity.  This food commodity will always have a
consumer waiting to buy it especially if it is cheaper in price.  The
obvious evidence of this is the millions and millions of starving people in
the world that go without food every day.  These poor people are not
concerned with a third car or bigger house.  These people are not concerned
with even a single car or house.   For these millions of people their first
and only concern, even above  a simple hut to live in,  is FOOD- where will
I get something to eat today  so
I can simply stay alive for tomorrow.   We as farmers and ranchers in the US
are faced with this simple problem unique only to food.  The more we produce
to stay in business the cheaper it will get and we will never fill the
demand for food in the world based on these criteria.  100 years ago the
market for US produced food was only the US.  Now we are in a global market
for food.  This has changed for the same reasons other products are in a
global market -  the main reason being world transportation and
communication are faster and more efficient and products can be produced  on
one side of the globe and sold on another side within days or weeks instead
of months or years.   Because of this any surplus food produced in the US,
and the world for that matter,  is  discounted in price  sold  and even
given away to poor people in underdeveloped countries.  Until that need for
food by underdeveloped countries is met there is no hope for US agriculture
to increase our own prices.  We can never met that need as long as these
countries have no money to buy food that is priced based on our cost of
production.  They will continue however to consume our surplus at a price
much lower than our cost of production thus always driving our price
downward.  If these poor people had the money to buy food from US farmers
"at the cost of production plus reasonable profit" I am convinced the US
could feed the entire world!!!
       You might say - well then,  why don't the farmers and ranchers get
together and produce less, create a shortage, and raise their prices to a
profitable level.  Besides the fact that this could never be done given the
dynamics of agriculture in the US and the moral issues it would raise in the
US and the world, our government would never allow this to happen because of
the cheap food policy I explained earlier.  This would be a monopoly in its
simplest form dealing with a basic necessity for life-food.   The government
simply couldn't and wouldn't allow this to happen.  Consequently we as
farmers and ranchers are left to seek help from the government so that we
can stay in business to produce the food necessary to feed the US and a lot
of the world at a very cheap price.
         You might say - well, we don't need the American farmer we can buy
all the food we need at a cheaper price from
overseas.  On the surface this sounds reasonable but beware!!!  Can you
imagine if the US were dependent on food from a  group of  foreign countries
like were are dependant on oil from OPEC.   We can all drive our cars less,
turn our thermostats down, etc. to conserve energy.  We can develop
alternative sources of energy to replace oil.  We could in an emergency
get by without importing any oil with the reserves we have in the US - for
how long I don't know.  But when it comes to food
it gets a little scarier.  Yes we could all eat less and waste less.  I
really don't know of any alternative for sustaining life that will replace
food.  If the US ever gets to the point where we rely heavily on imported
food like we do oil then look out.  Overnight those countries would and
could raise prices for  food to whatever they wanted and we would be
helpless to do anything about it.  If you think it takes a lot of
infrastructure to produce oil and gas from the ground take a look at food.
For the most part it is a perishable item and requires considerably broader
and different  inputs to produce than oil.  If you think you could get by as
an individual person or family with less oil and gas you are probably
correct.  If you think you could get by as an individual person or family
with less food-think again.  If you think we are probably going to war with
Iraq over oil  then think of how quick we would be to go to war over food.
This is exactly the reason for the "cheap food policy" our government has
had for the last 80 years.
         For those of you that complain about subsidies and financial aid to
agriculture in the US I have this to say...you won't like it I am
sure.......The largest nationwide subsidy to the broadest class of people in
all walks of life rich or poor is the food you eat every day.  The American
farmer and rancher produce the cheapest, highest quality, and most available
food today in the world.  If you don't believe me try buying the same food
you eat here in the US on a daily basis in any other country in the world
and see what it costs!!!!!   This is being done with your help as tax paying
citizens of the US through the USDA and other government programs that some
of you complain so much about.  It is also being done with the hard work and
ingenuity of the typical American farmer and rancher and the many industries
that supply goods and services to American agriculture.   As of the last few
years it is also being done with equity that has been built up over the past
100 years by farmers and ranchers all across the nation that are still
supplying the American consumer with cheap food at a price lower than the
cost of producing that food.
         This cannot continue to happen without having dire consequences on
the food supply of our nation.  I fear that our governments "cheap food
policy" is slowly turning into a "no food policy" if something isn't done
to stop the current trend in American agriculture.   As our food supply
depends more and more on imports and large corporate farms in the US we are
slowly loosing control of what we now take for granted.
         Tying this all back to biofuel......farmers in the US would love to
produce ethanol, biodiesel, wind power, etc. but most of them don't have any
financial means to pursue these things- they are simply living from one year
to the next financially and trying to stay in business.  Personally I have
been interested in these alternative energy sources for a long time but I
don't have the money to pursue any of it.   I share all of your thoughts on
why we need to develop this type of energy and am completely in support of
it as I think most farmers would be.   I feel that American agriculture
could produce food as well as clean energy.  We have a tremendous amount of
wasted byproducts in agriculture that could be used to produce clean energy
not to mention raising specific crops for energy use.  In some areas of the
US there are vast amounts of land with available water that are not being
put to use - we need to developed our own natural resources to produce food
and energy in a non-polluting sustainable way.  As usual the most  limiting
factor is economics.  If  farmers and ranchers are expected to take part in
this we have to first be allowed to make a reasonable profit on the products
we are producing now.   Any future developments in alternative energy that
are associated with agriculture have to allow a profit for all of those
involved including the farmer and rancher.
      In conclusion, I apologize for the length of this post but I don't
think most people realize where we are heading in the US in regards to our
food supply and it is just as important as our energy supply.  Someone asked
where the farmers were and why none of them were responding - just consider
that I have responded for a couple dozen of us.   If you have children and
grandchildren and have any concern for future generations please give some
thought to what I have said.
      Please feel free to comment,
                                                        Thank You,     Phil
Hartman