murdoch wrote:

  They seem to want energy independence for the U.S., but
> only if it doesn't hurt their cronies.  They have the priority of better
> energy
> policy, but it is subverted to at least one higher priority, aka Exxon-Mobil
> et.
> al. (under guise of giving due consideration to the rationale for staying with
> much of the fossil fuel paradigm).

I wonder, how much of the concern for big oil is actually concern for
all the people who work in oil related jobs?  I am working for a
sustainable world, so don't get me wrong, but what do we do with the
people that are employed in the un-sustainable one?  I am not speaking
of the educated engineers or management, but the guys out in the field,
who number in the thousands, quite probably hundreds of thousands.  The
people who have no education, but have families to support.  Also, the
clerks, dispatchers, and basic mechanics, that will need to be retrained.

While I may be unusual, about half of the people I know, including my
husband work in an oil field related job that will disappear.  We are
working to get my other half out of there, [and he has the education to
be employed elsewhere] but to find jobs and careers for all these people
is going to dislocate the economy, big time, if done too quickly.

Let me say again, I do want to see the end of big oil.  I am also aware
of the impact it is going to have, which is rarely mentioned.  I have
seen mention that the oil cracking plants could be changed to biofuel
plants, but what about oil field service, which is a huge industry?

Just some thoughts on a Monday morning.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/PdoN7C/pEZFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM