Hi Todd

> > "The spirit of nationality is a sour ferment of the new wine of
> > democracy in the old bottles of tribalism."
>
>From whence dost this quote come?

Sorry - Sir Arnold Toynbee, "A Study of History". Good read, with an
awesome sweep to it. He doesn't fit into a nutshell, but...

>British historian, known for his view of the past as a succession of
>civilizations rather than political entities. From 1925 until his
>retirement in 1955 he was director of studies in the Royal Institute
>of International Affairs and research professor of international
>history at the University of London. Of the many books written by
>Toynbee, the 12-volume series "A Study of History" (1934-1961) has
>had considerable influence on modern attitudes toward history,
>religion, and international affairs. It is a comparative study of 26
>civilizations in world history, analyzing their genesis, growth, and
>disintegration. According to Toynbee's hypothesis, the failure of a
>civilization to survive was the result of its inability to respond
>to moral and religious challenges, rather than to physical or
>environmental challenges.

For a real mindblast, read Toynbee and Jung all at once. The
subterranean forces and patterns Toynbee found at work in the lives
of civilizations are the same as those Jung found in the lives of
individuals.

I don't altogether agree with Toynbee though, he didn't understand
soil, for one thing. Physical or environmental challenges might be
more important than he thinks - civilizations definitely foundered
because they failed to develop a sustainable agriculture and
frittered away their topsoil, or, like Rome, started off with an
excellent agriculture and then wrecked it - mainly a consequence of
the Punic Wars, in Rome's case. But Toynbee could be right anyway and
this is also a moral/spiritual issue - maybe a properly focused
society fits in with its environment, as opposed to one that commits
the hubris that brings about its own nemesis.

Does all this sound slightly familiar?

Best